You may notice that worker routes are shown as straight lines instead of reflecting the roads traveled by the worker.
This issue may be caused by the following reasons:
- The method of connecting GPS points is configured as a Straight Line.
- You are viewing worker routes for a Trip (at Mileage > Trip List > View Trip Details) - the routes in the Trip Details view are always displayed as straight lines. Follow the steps in the Testing section to view the routes from the Worker Map instead.
- From the web portal, navigate to Administration > Settings.
- Select the Tracking tab.
- Click Edit in the Method for connecting GPS points row.
- Select the Routes value and click Save & Close.
- You can increase GPS update frequency - this will increase the number of GPS points and accuracy of worker routes.
- Ask the affected workers to follow the best practice below.
Best Practices for mobile device tracking:
- Make sure to close the application using the Exit button instead of force closing.
- Maintain "Line of Site" with the sky when possible - make sure the device is in an area where it can acquire a GPS satellite. Buildings and parking ramps can restrict access to a good GPS satellite signal; if you are in a vehicle, keep the mobile device in an open area such as a cup holder instead of a jacket, or pants pocked. Do not place the device in the glove box, center column box or a tool box as that can potentially block GPS signals.
- Keep your device battery charged - if the battery gets low or critically low, the device may turn off the GPS function to save battery power. At all times the battery should be charged above 30%.
- If working indoors or underground, the mobile application may not be able to immediately transmit the data back to the web application. If the recording of these events is time sensitive, you may need to step outside to ensure they are transmitted back to the web application. If your device is not able to pick up a carrier signal, the mobile app will store all information or events (such as Mobile Forms or Job Actions) and will transmit once you are back in an area that has cell coverage.
- Avoid suddenly closing the application on the device - instead of swiping the app to close it, use the Exit button found on the home screen of the application. Shutting the app down suddenly might interrupt the software and doesn't allow the device to send the last captured GPS coordinates or any other data to the server.
- Navigate to Workers > Worker Map.
- Click on the required worker icon and select the Show Routes option.
Also, you can check worker routes from the Worker List.
The routes should be displayed on the roads that were most likely travelled by the worker (according to the retrieved GPS points).